Friday, November 29, 2013

A Noble Son of Zion

Today we come to the conclusion of Zerah's story in his own words.

"In the meantime, we were rather destitute of clothing, but speculators followed the army and brought more goods to the valley than was ever brought before so that the people were decently clothed.  All this we considereed direct from the hand of God to supply our wants.  But evils have followed the army.  Such a herd of abomibable characers have come in their wake, that lying, gambling, robbing, stealing, and murdering till it seemed as though they were determined to break up all law and order in the territory.  They brought with them much liquor which still furthered them in their abomination, and many of our people who were weak joined with them in their wickedness, especially the rising generation who imitated their habits.  This gave us some trouble to keept the church in order.  Brother Brigham preached continually to bring the church to obedience, but they were now careless.

We had some trouble with the Indians, but nothing in consequence of our being driven out from the United States.  I think all the wars we have had with the Indians have not as yet made us so much trouble as the armys sent from the United States.

I still continued my labors in town and on my farm---what time I could get.  I had much labor too among the seventies, remaining a counselor.  I was frequently out four or five evenings a week besides day meetings.

In March of 1857 I married Martha Hughes, daughter of James and Ann Picton Hughes.  She bore me five children.

I discovered that with the age that I had approached that it began to wear upon my constitution.  I was advised by some to give up my presiding and let a younger man take it that invoked upon it.  I therefore gave it up, with the privilege of remaining in the body of the seventies or join the high priest quorum.  I, therefore, have yet remained in the body of the seventies.  Considering they were both embraced in the Melchizedek Priesthood it was a matter of indifference to me.

However, the southern mission that had been in action for some time had some influence with me, partly on account of its necessity and partly on account of some of my boys that were called there.  Therefore, I said I did not know but that I would go there if the presidency thought it best.  No sooner than they heard of it they sent me an order to go with my family.  I, therefore, put myself in the way of selling my property.  My boys heard of it and came to help me move to Dixie.  Accordingly, in the fall of 1862 I removed to Shoal Creek (later called Hebron,) where my boys were keeping a herd for the southern people.  (the members of the church residing in St. George)  I found it to be a very healthy section, and I enjoyed myself very well, considering the obscurity of the place.  We were a great  distance from the abode of the white men in the very midst of the roving red men."

Susie's notes:
The town of Hebron was eventually destroyed by floods and an earthquake.  Gary and I found where Zerah's body is buried in an extremely small cemetary just west of the town of Enterprise.  You have to cross a creek to get to the cemetary so you can only find it at certain times of the year as the creek runs pretty high in the spring.  Zerah's sons found the Shoal Creek area while exploring west of Enterprise and found it to be a great place to raise cattle.  They then settled the town and ran cattle for the  church, feeding the people of St. George.  When the town was destroyed by flood, most of the people living there went to Enterprise, just a few miles east, and helped then to establish that community.  Zerah had two daughters who married a Terry.  He was the founder of Enterprise.  There is a monument there to recognize these families.

"I will now reflect back to the time our family meetings convened.  The first was in February, 1855.  I called my children together at my home in Salt Lake at this meeting and said, "I want to instruct you a little and give such advice which I hope you will remember.  First get the spirit of the Lord and keep it. The most of you have the priesthood and you will be likely to use it to govern your families and bring up your children .  When a man has a number of good children he loves all of them.  If the destroyer comes to take one of them, which will he give?  Most likely the one he cannot keep, of course.  Which child can't you keep by the prayer of faith and the authority of the priesthood?  Pray mighty to God, let your thoughts be raised in prayer day and night, that you may have the spirit of the Lord to be with you.  Never speak till you know what you are going to say.  Never whip a child in anger.  Be sure that the spirit of the Lord dictates to you when you groom your children.  Never let your girls go with men that you do not know for some men have the fever of seducing, therefore, beware who they go with.  Some women think if their husbands get another wife they cannot love them anymore, but they are under a great mistake, for he can love one hundred as well as the sun can shine upon each of them in a clear day---if God requires you get them.  Such idle thoughts should be banished from their minds forever.  Why is it so?  Becasue it is God's order.  A man may love his wives just in proportion to their acts of kindness to him.  I beg of you mothers to take care of your children while they are with you.  I now will give way for you to speak.
Then each child would bear their testimonies.  These meetings were held regularly once a year and recorded."

I have a copy of John Pulsipher's journal, he was Zerah's son, and he recorded all of these family meetings.  They always had a lot of food, including lots of cheeses, which I thought was interesting.

Zerah Pulsipher was instrumental in building the towns of Pine Valley and Hebron.  He died in Hebron January 1, 1872 at the age of eighty-four.  This day closed another chapter in the book of life for one of God's chosen and noble sons.  He was remembered at his funeral with the following poem:

ZIONS NOBLE SON

Zkon's noble son is sleeping
Neath the sod of Zion's land.
Chosen by the great Creator,
And by the strength of nature's hand.

To the just his spirit has wafted,
Not to rest, but plod along;
In the quest of the resurrection,
Which God says is in the morn.

Among the rocks, amid the desert,
He has striven to maintain
Zion's standart in the mountains,
And to honor his Maker's name.

Scores of branches from the honored
Taught by him to reverance God,
Have sprung up and dwelt in Zion
And sing their praise with one accord.

Through a useful life he's passed,
Bearing Temples unto God,
Have sprung up and dwelt in Zion
And sing their praise with one accord.

Through a useful life he's passed,
Bearing Temples unto God,
Choosing right; maintaining justice;
Taking this path for his abode.

Like the rock of Gibralter
He has stood from first to last,
Through the blast of persecutiion
And to God his anchor cast.

Companies of the dear departed,
One with tottering steps and hoary hair;
Sons and daugters of the shepherd,
Weep not for thy father dear.

Author Unknown

A few notes:  Zerah married Martha Hughes in 1857.  She was fourteen and he was in his sixties.  I have read that she was a well developed young woman, recently arrived from Wales and appeared older than she was.  When the brethren found out about the marriage, he was called before them and chastised to the point that he was released as a president of the seventies, excommunicated but re-baptized immediately after and called as a Patriarch. He was punished because he did not get permission from the church leaders at the time to marry Martha.  There were some strict guidelines to the practice of polygamy and in this instance Zerah had not complied.   It is recorded that he died in good standing as a member of the church.

Also, a troop of Boy Scouts moved Zerah's and Mary Ann Brown Pulsipher's graves from Hebron to the present location a few miles west of Enterprise because of the flood waters.  We have them to thank for such an undertaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment