Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum

"I labored to support my family (in Kirtland, Ohio) and in the fall of 1837 I went to Canada on a mission, raised a branch of twenty-nine members, and returned January 29, 1838 to Kirtland.  I was ordained to the council of the first president of seventies."  See Doctrine and Covenants 122:138

"And again, I give unto you Joseph Young, Josiah Butterfield, Daniel Miles, Henry Herriman, Zera Pulsipher, Levi Hancock, James Foster, to preside over the quorum of seventies."

The Missouri Years:

"The Missouri mobs were continually seeking the life of Brother Joseph.  I think there had been some raisings against him without success.  These mobbers finally came to the conclusion that the law could not reach him, but powder and ball could.  Therefore, they organized a mob of about 200 men, and put him in Carthage jail with Dr. Richards, Hyrum Smith and John Taylor.  The mobs came and broke into the jail, shot Joseph and Hyrum and wounded John Taylor by shooting four balls into him.  The fourth saved his life, striking his watch which was in his vest pocket.  After Joseph had fell dead one of the ruffians made a move to take off his head, but a singular light shown around him that struck the man with fear.  They therefore flew in every direction and disappeared.  This being done it gave us a hard shock and caused much mourning.  Our brethren went and brought them home and buried the dead and restored the wounded.

At this time the mob expected we would rise and give them battle.  We thought best not to do it.  We just kept still, continued our work on the temple, finished it and got our endowments.  At that time most of the twelve were absent on missions.  Sidney Rigdon, who aspired for the presidency, came and called the church together and  presented his claim for the presidency.  But the twleve soon came home and appeared on the stand at the day appointed for choosing.  Sidney made his plea.  Brigham Young began to speak and at that time I sat with my back towards the stand as did many others.  When Brigham spoke he spoke with the voice of Joseph and we turned around to see Brigham speaking in Joseph's voice and beheld Jospeh's mantle had fallen on him.  The people understood it in the same way.  Brigham stood at the head of the twleve, therefore the church turned to him.

Persecution continually waxed against the church.  They thought it best to go to a more secluded land.  Accordingly in January of 1846, I had notice to be ready at three days notice to leave on account of so many attempts to destroy the church.

At length I had the notice and started with a good team the second day of February, crossed the Mississippi River and went as far as Sugar Creek, until the cold weather broke.  There were about 500 of the heads of the church here.  I went back once, gave my son orders to sell what property he could and take the family and follow as soon as the spring opened.  We went on from Sugar Creek in the spring, but streams and tempests opposed our march till late in the season.

I frequently went forward to pioneer the way and organize places for the poor to stop that were not able to go any further.  In May I took my team and went back to meet my family and found them in Lee County (Iowa) with two teams, a few cows and a few sheep.  My sacrifices there was about two thousand dollars.  We went on and crossed the Missouri River that season and established a place called Winter Quarters.

That fall and winter, which was 1846 and 1847, the church suffered exceedingly.  When we got there we found so many sick and dying from exposure that I took my team and what help I could raise and drew timber four miles and built six houses.  Then I was obliged to go down to Missouri for provisions, was gone about six weeks in winter, camping out, and exposed to all the storms that are common in that season of the year.

I brought home what I could.  When I got home I was so far exhausted from exposure that I could not walk one step without two crutches.  I then sent my boys again, while I took care of the cattle wich amounted to eighteen head.  Many times I went on my crutches to get my horse, then rode all day to save my cattle from the Indians, who were continuously killing them."


No comments:

Post a Comment